Letter published in Le Soleil
First of all, I would like to thank you sincerely for your interest and dedication to innovation in education. Your commitment and enthusiasm are an important source of motivation and give me more reasons to pursue my commitment to making a difference and to modernizing our education system.
As I have already stated, I would like to surround myself with a group of motivated education enthusiasts who have daily contact with our schools. These relationships will allow me to have real-time discussions and help me keep my finger on the pulse of our school system.
Of course, there are dozens of interesting topics that can help us to “push things farther” together. I would like to suggest a few subjects to get the ball rolling. However, the most important thing is to establish this group of enthusiasts, so I encourage you to invite the people identified in your Google Docs to the Slack group. You can then form subgroups depending on the strengths and assets of each member. My colleagues Marie Deschamps and Jean-François Helms will also be on Slack in order to assist you if necessary.
I will begin by suggesting the following discussion topics:
- Digital strategy:
- What action should we take to integrate more technology into education?
- Also, what type of technologies should we prioritize?
- Teaching students skills for the 21st century:
- How do we begin incorporating coding and programming into our educational activities, and eventually into our educational curriculum?
- Since there are several types of programming and coding languages, which ones should we choose?
- Continuing education for teachers:
- It seems to me that continuing education is a serious issue for certain teachers. What do you think?
- What should we do to ensure that every teacher undertakes continuing education in a manner that serves education?
- Should a specific number of hours be allocated annually to continuing education?
- Is current continuing education adequate? Should it be reviewed? If so, what topics do you think are essential?
- Valorization of the teaching profession:
- In your opinion, what measures can be taken to increase the status of the teaching profession?
- How should we establish the professional autonomy of teachers?
In addition to these discussion ideas, I invite you to share your own topics, observations, comments, and suggestions on a daily basis. I will also be meeting with the “Steering Committee” in the near future to discuss these issues in person. This could be a good opportunity to talk about our Policy on Educational Success, the EHDAA, etc.
Once again, I would like to express my admiration for your daily efforts and commitment to doing more to support educational success. Thank you for thinking and acting outside the box – we really appreciate it.
Please do not hesitate to contact me or to communicate your ideas or suggestions to me. I would like to reiterate that you can submit topics or concerns to us on issues that need to be discussed together.
Thank you for your invaluable input.
Minister of Education, Recreation and Sports
Minister of Family
Minister responsible for the Gaspésie—Îles-de-la-Madeleine region