D6 – To make life easier for Quebecers, the leader of the Quebec Liberal Party, Philippe Couillard, has committed to modernize our schools so that our children can grow in stimulating environments that encourage healthy lifestyle habits.
In a second Liberal government mandate:
- All of Quebec’s students will be able to learn in healthy, safe living and learning environments thanks to the continuation of the vast school renovation project, which began in the spring of 2016, and which aims to eliminate all of Quebec’s outdated schools by 2030.
- Make all school expansion or construction projects Lab-Schools: these modern and innovative schools will offer an environment that is stimulating and conducive to learning for teachers, students and parents alike.
- Accelerate the arrival of technology in classrooms: We will encourage the use of computer programming and coding for pedagogical purposes in the majority of public and private elementary and secondary schools by the 2020–2021 school year. To do so, students will benefit from cutting-edge technological materials right in their classrooms as of the beginning of this school year. They are digital combos which group together computer equipment as well as the training and guidance for all school staff.
For active students:
- Young people will be able to be physically active and develop healthy lifestyle habits in environments that are welcoming and stimulating because within 4 years, all of Quebec’s schools will have a gym, thanks to the pursuit of the “One School, One Gym” program.
- Elementary school children will be active for 60 minutes each day to develop healthy lifestyle habits.
- Testing in physical education will be abolished to make all students to want to get moving.
We need to bring Quebec schools into modern times, both in terms of infrastructures and digital technologies. For this reason, the QLP proposes to add $400M per year, a total of $4B over ten years, for the renovation, expansion and construction of 21st century schools. We will prioritize these additional investments within the Quebec Infrastructures Plan’s total increase of 10 billion dollars over 10 years.
We also want to ensure that schools allow our young people to seize every opportunity presented by the new digital age. It’s thanks to a clear and rigorous financial framework that these kinds of achievements will be possible.