D5 – To make life easier for Quebecers, the leader of the Quebec Liberal Party, Philippe Couillard, has committed to implementing 6 concrete measures to better support children and young people.
In a second Liberal government mandate:
For children enrolled in educational childcare services
- Educational services for 4 year-olds will be free, regardless of whether they are enrolled in 4-year-old kindergarten or in childcare services;
- More support, more money, more material and an enhanced educational program for children in childcare services;
- Educational childcare services will become part of the Ministry of Education and Higher Education to maximize coordination between the two networks and promote children’s success;
For elementary level students
- In addition to the teacher, a second person will be added to preschool and first-grade classes to accompany the children (ex.: a second teacher, special education technician, resource teacher, speech therapist, psychologist, etc.);
- The intensive English course will be implemented more quickly in 5th and 6th grades to encourage the children to master a second language;
Adapted learning paths
- Young people will be placed in learning situations until they reach age 18, or until they acquire a first diploma or a first qualification, by offering diverse and attractive paths, such as traditional in-class learning with reduced ratios, on-the-job training, internships or professional training, to meet various needs;
These commitments represent an additional 5-year investment of 2.8 billion dollars in educational success.