To make Quebecers’ lives easier, in a second mandate Philippe Couillard, the leader of the QLP, has committed to enhance recognition for the teaching profession because teachers are at the very heart of our children’s educational success. We want to take action throughout teachers’ careers by ensuring renewed, quality initial training, increasing their salaries in their first years of practice, implementing continued training that is adapted to the area’s needs and ensuring the dissemination of pedagogical best practices and research results. We need to better equip them and better recognize the work they do.
- Revise and enhance the initial training for students undertaking a Bachelor’s degree in education;
- Create a province-wide examination for mastery of the French language, replacing the current TECFEE exam;
- Throughout their careers, offer teachers continued training that is adapted to their needs and those of their students;
- Create a National Institute of Educational Excellence to better develop, share and disseminate pedagogical best practices and research results.
Better value their work:
- Improve working conditions for teachers at the beginning of their careers by eliminating the first 6 salary levels;
- Acknowledge the indispensable contributions towards all Quebecers’ educational success, from early childhood to adulthood, which are made by those who work in our teaching establishments.