A happy 2017-2018 school year to all students and staff members
Québec City, August 28, 2017. – Sébastien Proulx, Minister of Education, Recreation and Sports, Minister of Families and Minister responsible for the Gaspésie-Îles-de-la-Madeleine region, would like to wish a happy 2017-2018 school year to all students ending their summer holidays and beginning this new school year. During the week, the Minister will make the most of this special time by meeting with students, parents and school staff and visiting an early childhood centre. He will be going to Montréal, Québec City and Trois-Rivières.
The past year was marked by the success of several major projects, including the first Policy on Educational Success designed to guide the actions of education partners and stakeholders for the next 13 years.
In this context of transformation, the beginning of this 2017-2018 school year has several new features, including:
• the addition of more than 1,500 resources to direct student services throughout Quebec;
• the addition of 101 new four-year-old kindergarten classes in disadvantaged areas to provide educational services to more young children;
• a mandatory financial education course for Secondary 5 students;
• a new history course in Secondary 3 and 4;
• sexuality education offered in 165 schools;
• guidance counselling implanted in all elementary schools;
• actions aimed at getting more youth to be active, including the addition of 60 minutes of physical activity per day;
• a better vocational training offer with the addition of small cohorts and the establishment of pilot projects aimed at increasing learning in the workplace;
• thousands of projects to renovate and expand existing schools and build new schools;
• construction projects for new gymnasiums and schoolyards.
I would like to wish an excellent school year to all students, all teaching staff and all those working in Quebec schools. This new year is an opportunity for all students to tackle challenges and explore the world around them. There is no doubt that they will make interesting discoveries and have rewarding encounters that will deepen their curiosity and give them the desire to keep learning more.
– Sébastien Proulx, Minister of Education, Recreation and Sports, Minister of Families and Minister responsible for the Gaspésie-Îles-de-la-Madeleine region,