QUÉBEC CITY, December 20, 2017 – The Minister of Health and Social Services, Gaétan Barrette, announced today that since April 2014, 1 million more people have gained access to a family doctor.
Total number of people in Quebec
|April 1, 2014||December 1, 2017||Difference between April 1,
2014, and December 1, 2017
Reaching this symbolic number of 1 million demonstrates that our efforts are bearing fruit. I am very proud of our achievement, but especially extremely happy for all these people who now have access to a family doctor. It was one of my priorities: to simplify the lives of patients who did not have a family doctor and wanted one. To do so, we gave ourselves targets and the means to achieve them. I would also like to thank the Federation of Quebec General Practitioners, without whom this objective could not have be achieved, for their collaboration and work with patients.
– Gaétan Barrette, Minister of Health and Social Services
For the entire province, the registration rate with a family doctor has now reached 79%, whereas it was at 66.4% in April 2014. Note also that the registration rate now exceeds the target of 85% in the areas served by the following institutions:
- CISSS du Bas-Saint-Laurent: 89.6%
- CIUSSS du Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean: 89.8%
- CISSS de la Mauricie-et-du-Centre-du-Québec: 86.7%
- CIUSSS de l’Estrie: 85.3%
- CISSS de la Gaspésie: 87.9%
- CISSS des Îles: 88.7%
- CISSS de Chaudière-Appalaches: 90.9%
The Quebec Government has redoubled its efforts since 2014 to improve access to health care and frontline services. The actions that have been put in place include:
- The agreement resulting from Bill 20, which sets targets for registration and attendance for family doctors;
- The establishment of 23 superclinics, open 12 hours a day, 7 days a week;
- The continued development of the network of Family Medicine Groups (GMF), now numbering 317;
- The establishment of the Québec Family Doctor Finder (GAMF);
- The Grande Inscription, which, on September 1 of each year, will assign blocks of patients on the GAMF to family doctors;
- The development of a free online appointment system, the Quebec Medical Appointment Scheduler (RVSQ).
View the original content: http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/1-million-de-personnes-de-plus-ont-maintenant-acces-a-un-medecin-de-famille-665434753.html