In accordance with the Quebec Liberal Party’s (QLP) rules for the leadership election, Dominique Anglade has fulfilled all of the requirements and has been declared an official candidate by the QLP’s Leadership Election Committee.
In order to be recognized as an official candidate, an aspiring candidate must have met the following requirements, among others:
- Be a Party member in good standing;
- Submit nomination papers which include a commitment to respect the Election Act, Official Party Documents and the Rules for the Leadership Election;
- Collect signatures of 750 members in good standing from 70 ridings and 12 regions, 250 of which must be individuals who became members in good standing after May 5th, 2019;
- Submit $50,000 in trust in support of their nomination papers.
As such, Dominique Anglade is now recognized as an official candidate.
Here is some key information about the rules governing the QLP leadership race:
- The Leadership Convention will be held on May 30th and 31st, 2020 at the Centre des Congrès de Québec;
- All members in good standing are eligible to vote;
- The deadline to submit nomination papers is March 6th, 2020, at 4 pm.
- The communication phase will begin on March 7th and will include 5 debates: 2 in Eastern Quebec, 2 in Western Quebec, one of which will be held in English, as well as one organized by the Party’s Commission-Jeunesse;
- Votes will be pondered according to riding, to ensure regional representation;
- Youth aged 25 and under hold particular importance, as by virtue of our Constitution their share of the votes is 33%;
- Two rounds of voting will be held, both via telephone and online, and members will be able to rank the candidates in preferential order;
- The maximum amount for authorized expenses is $500,000, excluding the $50,000 submitted in support of a candidate’s nomination papers;
- The Rules for the Leadership Race are available on our website in the Official Documents section.
Recall that the Rules for the Leadership Race were established following a consultation held with members and among various Liberal entities.
Important document: 2019-2020 Rules for the Leadership Election