REPENTIGNY, QC, June 18, 2018 – As part of the call for proposals for the creation of regional innovation hubs in Québec, the initiative of Lanaudière Économique has been selected in the Lanaudière region. The selection committee assessed each of the requests received by ensuring that eligibility criteria were met and that there was consultation in the community. This independent committee was composed of representatives from government, entrepreneurship and the fields of industrial innovation, regional economic development and finance.
Stéphane Billette, Minister for Small and Medium Enterprises, Regulatory Streamlining and Regional Economic Development, made the announcement today.
The regional innovation hubs will be areas of convergence that will encourage entrepreneurship, creativity and innovation. Their mission will be to stimulate collaboration and dialogue between different socioeconomic players. In all, the Government of Québec will invest more than $32 million to support the creation and implementation of 18 regional innovation hubs in Québec as well as a national network.
Our government is focusing on dialogue and the combination of the strengths and skills of the key players in entrepreneurship and innovation across the province. The implementation of these dynamic hubs embodies our desire to spread the seeds of tomorrow’s successful businesses throughout Québec. This is an initiative with the potential to increase the competitiveness of our regions and businesses! Congratulations to the Lanaudière region for its exemplary work.
– Stéphane Billette, Minister for Small and Medium Enterprises, Regulatory Streamlining and Regional Economic Development
Entrepreneurs in Lanaudière have the opportunity to thrive in a diverse economy that contributes to the growth of their businesses and promotes the success of various projects. Thanks to this new regional hub, they can now rely on a wide range of expertise and knowledge in a single centre of innovation. This is a promising initiative for the development of entrepreneurship in Lanaudière!
– Lise Thériault, Minister responsible for Consumer Protection and for Housing and Minister responsible for the Lanaudière region
- The regional innovation hubs, together with existing regional partners, will guide current and potential entrepreneurs toward specialized support services and help them find business opportunities.
- The mission of implementing the national network of regional innovation hubs is entrusted to DigiHub in Shawinigan.
- With a budget of over $345 million, the Government Action Plan on Entrepreneurship 2017-2022 – Oser Entreprendre seeks to achieve, by 2022, two ambitious and mobilizing goals through its 34 measures:
- create 125,000 new businesses, an average increase of 2,000 per year;
- have 3,500 high-growth companies, or about 50 more per year on average.