University research infrastructure
SHERBROOKE, QC, June 1, 2018 – The Government of Québec is granting financial assistance of $20.5 million to the Université de Sherbrooke in order to support the acquisition of research equipment. This initiative, valued at $28.5 million, will make it possible to carry out the project Chaîne d’innovation intégrée pour la prospérité numérique (“Integrated Innovation Chain for Digital Prosperity”), which aims to conduct research in new industrial sectors and to support a set of government priorities related to digital technology, artificial intelligence and innovative manufacturing.
Dominique Anglade, Deputy Premier, Minister of Economy, Science and Innovation and Minister responsible for the Digital Strategy, and Luc Fortin, MNA for Sherbrooke, Minister of Families and Minister responsible for the Estrie region, made the announcement today.
The acquisition of this specialized tooling and prototyping equipment will allow the Université de Sherbrooke to complete its unique micronanotechnology innovation chain, centred on electronics, photonics and innovative manufacturing. By supporting this project, our government is reiterating its desire to accelerate Québec’s transformation into a 21st century economy, as stated in the Digital Strategy. Moreover, our support for the Université de Sherbrooke embodies our desire to be an attentive partner to the academic world when it comes to research infrastructure while pursuing our efforts to invest in research and innovation.
– Dominique Anglade, Deputy Premier, Minister of Economy, Science and Innovation and Minister responsible for the Digital Strategy
We are proud to help one of our region’s key teaching establishments, the Université de Sherbrooke, acquire useful research equipment that will ensure the success of an important project to foster collaboration between universities and the research and innovation industry. Moreover, the initiative will certainly help us fulfill the Québec Research and Innovation Strategy’s goal of making Québec recognized around the world as one of the most innovative societies.
– Luc Fortin, MNA for Sherbrooke, Minister of Families, Minister responsible for the Estrie region
Today, we have a fine example of the energy that drives the Université de Sherbrooke, an important player in Québec’s academic research sector. We are very excited to help this teaching establishment acquire this equipment to modernize its research infrastructure and boost its reputation for excellence in research and innovation.
– Hélène David, Minister responsible for Higher Education and Minister responsible for the Status of Women
This innovation chain will allow us to support the growth of our industrial partners and increase their investments in the economies of Estrie and Québec. It will attract other international companies and will help build a highly skilled workforce, which is essential to the growth of companies’ productivity and the creation of collective wealth that will improve our quality of life.
– Vincent Aimez, Vice-President of Partnerships and Knowledge Transfer, Université de Sherbrooke
We are delighted that the government, in applying its digital strategy, recognizes the daily work that goes on in the integrated innovation chain and at C2MI. The funds provided will ensure a brilliant future for our infrastructure by updating its industrial technological abilities and training highly qualified staff through collaborative industry-academic projects.
– Normand Bourbonnais, CEO of C2MI
- The Université de Sherbrooke is dedicated to open education, the promotion of critical thinking and the quest for new knowledge through teaching, research, creativity and social engagement.
- In May 2017, the Government of Québec released the 2017-2022 Québec Research and Innovation Strategy Oser innover, which represents a total of $2.8 billion in investments and budgetary costs. This strategy includes 36 measures and seven projects that will meet the challenges that Québec faces in terms of research and innovation, in addition to having an impact on improving the well-being of society.
- In December 2017, the Government of Québec established the Québec Digital Strategy to promote collective prosperity by leveraging digital technology for the benefit of individuals and the community.