Under a Liberal government led by Dominique Anglade, a family physician will be given to any Quebecer who wants one. That is the flagship health-care promise in the Quebec Liberal Party’s election platform.
Since the CAQ’s arrival in power, the wait list for a family doctor has gone from 400,000 to now over 1 million.
What that means is that every day parents have to wait dozens of hours in emergency waiting rooms for their child’s minor health issue because there are no other options available to them. There are also thousands of adults and seniors with recurrent health issues who are being referred to different doctors each time their health requires it, without any kind of comprehensive follow up. Thousands of people are suffering and no longer have any access to the health care system. We understand the extent to which this is a real issue for Quebecers.
– Dominique Anglade, Leader of the Quebec Liberal Party
That is why the Quebec Liberal Party has made registering for a family doctor a priority. The Liberal Leader also confirmed that “people with chronic illnesses, seniors, people with mental health problems and those living with disabilities will be prioritized for registration with a family doctor.” A series of measures will be deployed to achieve the commitment, including:
- Training more doctors by adding 1,000 additional places in the faculties of medicine over the next 5 years;
- Better distributing family doctors throughout the territory and ensuring that there are 400 family medicine groups in Quebec;
- Ensuring that they spend less time in hospitals and more time in clinics to provide proper care;
- Tripling the number of SNPs and ensuring that there is one within each family medicine group;
- Reviewing administrative red tape in clinics.
François Legault has been in politics for 25 years. He is a former Minister of Health. When he made his promise in 2018, he did so with full knowledge of the health care network. The CAQ may choose to give up, but the Quebec Liberal Party will not let you down. We are advancing real solutions that will allow us to solve this issue once and for all. Quebecers deserve quality local health-care services, real monitoring of their overall well-being. Our health is what’s most precious to us, and we won’t let Quebecers down. Vote for real!
-Dominique Anglade, Leader of the Quebec Liberal Party